Drunk On Beauty is....

Obsessed with all things beauty- skincare, makeup, haircare, perfume and saving money when it comes time to check out!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Let's talk about EX...foliation.

Oh, EXFOLIATION! My favorite part of my skincare regime, right beside slathering my skin in some decadent moisturizer and falling into bed. Far too many women skip exfoliation when it is one of the easiest and can be one of the cheapest beauty routines to maintain.

Exfoliation falls into three main categories: manual, enzyme, and chemical. Lemme break them down for you.

Manual Exfoliation (Scrubs, brushes, washcloths): Manual exfoliation is probably the easiest and cheapest of the 3 types of exfoliation.  Seriously, how hard is it to gently rub your face with a washcloth as you wash your face?  There are so many other types of manual exfoliation though, that I'd rather use the washcloth for makeup removal or washing in the shower.



Scrubs: Scrubs tend to fall into 2 categories, those made with "natural" ingredients like sugar, salt,  and nut kernels or "beads" which are smooth and smaller than the "natural" ingredients.  They both have their pros and cons and here are the big two that I often read about:

1) Scrubs made with "natural" ingredients can be too rough on the skin, causing micro tears and damage to the skin like broken capillaries.

2) Scrubs made with "beads" run the risk of having their exfoliating product get into the water table, as they do not break down like salt, sugar, etc.

This is my take on it. We pour a lot of things down the drain that are going into septic  & sewer systems. I mean, I pour acetone down the drain. Where else am I going to pour it? I would much prefer to use a product that is gentle on my skin than one that might do damage over time or immediately.

If you are really into the idea of using a natural product for exfoliation, may I suggest baking soda mixed with a creamy cleanser (Cetaphil is great and low cost at $9.19 for 160z at Drugstore.com). Use about 1/2 of a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with the cleanser 1-2 times a week for a low cost and effective exfoliation.  If you're still into natural but have the money to spend, I have used and liked Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser,($32.92 for 4 oz). which is vegan and smells like lemon cake. I seriously wanted to eat it.

For scrubs with beads, there are TONS out there, so it's really up to personal preference and what type of skin you have.  I have used a bunch over the years. I continue to use Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power Clear Scrub ($7.99 for 4.2oz at Drugstore.com), which has not only the scrub but salycylic acid as well (which falls into chemical exfoliation).  It's like a power combo for your face. It may be a little harsh for some people, as it does have a strong menthol odor.



Now, my FAVORITE form of manual exfoliation would be the Clarisonic Mia, $114 on Amazon.com.  I purchased this little device shortly before Christmas and I have to say that it lives up to all the hype. Smaller pores? Yep. Smoother skin? Yep. I am using less foundation than before because my skintone is more even. It truly is the best investment I have ever made in my skin.  Check out this video from Good Morning America, earlier this month. 

There are definitely cheaper options out there- Olay (Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleaning System, $26  on Amazon.com), Neutrogena (Neutrogena Microdermabrasion System, $19.89 on Amazon.com), and Dove (Dove Skinvitalizer Facial Massager, $9.37 on Amazon.com) all have their own versions. I have used Dove's version and it's....well...it's...ok. There is no comparing it to the Clarisonic. Also, all 3 of these options use batteries. The Clarisonic is rechargeable and fully sealed so you can use it in the shower.



Enzyme Exfoliation: Enzyme exfoliation is the most gentle of all 3 types and is great if you have sensitive skin. This type of exfoliation uses enzymes found in fruits like pineapple, papaya, even pumpkin (ok, not a fruit!) to gently lift dead skin.  These types of products are very popular in Asian countries and are starting to catch on here. This Meishoku Detclear Facial Peeling Gel ($21.50 on Amazon.com) will last a long time, as a little bit goes a long way. The enzymes "slough" off the dead skin, kind of like using one of those dry skin creams on your feet to slough away the dead skin. Only it's on your face and much more gentle.

Jurlique is a company known for their use of natural and organic products in their skincare.  Their Fruit Enzyme Exfoliator will set you back a little more ($38.90 for 1.7oz on Amazon.com) but I can not say enough great things about this product or any other that Jurlique makes.

Chemical Exfoliation: The most common types of chemical exfoliation are done with Beta and Alpha Hydroxy acids. While both of these exfoliants are good for acne prone skin, they both have their advantages for normal or dry skin as well. A common Beta Hydroxy acid is salycylic acid, which is found in a boatload of drugstore brand products. I LOVE salycylic acid for getting rid of blackheads and preventing hormonal acne on my chin. It works great as a surface exfoliator.  There are claims that Alpha Hydroxy acids work at a slightly deeper level than Beta Hydroxy acids, helping to smooth wrinkles and fine lines. I find that Alpha Hydroxy acids are sometimes too harsh on my skin and can cause tingling and burning. No matter what type of chemical exfoliant you use, it is of the utmost importance that you wear a moisturizer with SPF.  Your skin will be more sensitive to the sun and prone to burning.

A great at home exfoliant using a Beta Hydroxy product is to use crushed (uncoated) aspirin as a mask. Simply fill a shot glass about 2/3 of the way full with crushed aspirin, fill with distilled water to the top of the shot glass and wait for aspirin to dissolve. Once it has dissolved, add jojoba or grapeseed oil to the top of the shot glass and then apply to your face (or body, anywhere that is acne prone) for about 10 minutes and then use a gentle circular motion to work the mixture outward before rinsing.


Alpha Hydrox makes a line of products available at Ulta, Target, Rite-Aid, etc that are affordable and get good reviews. My favorite product that I have used with Alpha Hydroxy acid in it is TimeBalm Skincare White Tea Rose Face Cleanser ($22 for 6oz on Amazon.com). This amazing cleanser has both Alpha Hydroxy Acid as well as Glycolic Acid in it. After two uses, I could feel a softness in my skin I hadn't felt in months.

There's absolutely no excuse not to exfoliate your skin at least once a week, when it can be done cheaply and effectively. Exfoliation helps rejuvenate skin, helps us look younger, fresher and keeps our skin supple. Go slough some off today!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. This was so helpful. :D
    Thank you for this post!
    I found you on Reddit, and I must say I love it. Your personality is perfect for a blog and it draws me in. :)
    Check mine out? http://mikaylaschoice.blogspot.com/ <3

    ReplyDelete